MANICURE AFTERCARE ADVICE
Here are a few important pointers to keep your fingertips looking in tip top shape:
* Wear rubber gloves when washing up to avoid contact with harsh detergents, which may dehydrate the nails and skin.
* Remove the rings before washing the hands so that soap does not build up behind them and irritate the skin.
* Dry the hands thoroughly after washing. Always use hand cream or lotion after washing to lubricate and soften the skin. Some hand creams contain UV filters which reduce hyper pigmentation (seen as darker areas of the skin) to the backs of the hands occurring.
* Keep hand cream at the kitchen and bathroom sink to remind yourself to apply after washing.
* Wear protective gloves when gardening or doing domestic chores to avoid accidental damage.
* Always wear gloves in cold weather as this will help maintain healthy blood circulation in the area.
* Use a richer hand cream in the winter months.
* Massage the hands and cuticles each evening with a rich hand cream just before going to bed.
* Use a nourishing cuticle oil, just before going to bed aswell, for example CND Solar Oil. This will nourish the nail bed and cuticle to keep the nail healthy.
* Do not use the fingernails for tools (for instance, to praise lids off tins)
* Use acetone-free nail varnish remover, as it is less harsh on the nails.
* Eat a balanced diet that contains all the nutrients essential for good / healthy skin and nails
* Drink plenty of water to keep the skin and nails hydrated.
* Apply strengthening nail products to treat cracking, peeling, splitting and white spots, for example CND RescueRXX
* Smooth rough edges of broken or split nails straight away with a good quality nail file, and always file straight across in one direction
* Buff the nails to a healthy shine regularly to stimulate the blood supply to the nails and encourage nail growth
* Apply a good top coat every 2-3 days to encourage your manicure to last longer